Treat your staff like your most trusted consultants.
As Managers and CEOs, you depend on the productivity and quality of output of your staff, whose performance and motivation are paramount to successful project outcomes, client satisfaction and practice growth. By extension, your employees could be considered your closest and most trusted advisors and consultants, so your collaboration with them should employ related principles for engagement:
- Hire people who do things better than you can;
- Brief them well and explain how and why their contribution matters;
- Grant them ownership over a defined scope or portfolio;
- Recognise that to own the delivery, they must first own the offer to the Client;
- Treat them as subject matter experts;
- Recognise their contribution and reward them for it, often;
- Be open and honest with critical feedback;
- Map a business and career development path together, for mutual benefit;
- Promote innovation and provide a safe place for testing and failure;
- Get to know them, as they get to know you; and
- Listen before leading.
Empathy and communication with staff equals commitment and engagement. Having processes in place that encourage and promote the above thinking can lead to active mentoring and coaching that is intrinsically embedded in the day to day operations of your team. This has the potential to greatly accelerate success and growth for all team members.