Writing a great proposal is only the first step.
Success in a design business also requires special skills in negotiating terms of an agreement between what you can offer for the fees available, and what the client would ideally get. Participants in the PM Essentials course learn key tactical negotiation skills.
In several instances, we’ve worked closely with design practices in an Advisory Services capacity, and this role has included advising the firm on specific proposal and other business development skills, sometimes in tandem with facilitating Strategic Planning sessions.
Great sources for more information on proposal writing are:
- PSMJ’s High Impact Proposals
- Frank Stasiowski’s Negotiating Higher Design Fees
- Frank Stasiowski’s Architect’s Essentials of Winning Proposals
- Chapter 2: Marketing & Proposals, in PSMJ’s The Ultimate Project Management Manual
- Nancy Duarte’s Resonate: Present Visual Stories That Transform Audiences (see https://www.duarte.com/)